Parent Leadership Opportunities in 4-H
Today's 4-H member may not live in a traditional two parent family. The term parent is intended to refer to the adult supporting a child's participation in 4-H, school, or community activities. This could be a mother, father, aunt, uncle, grandparent, guardian, sibling, or another caring adult.
When you join 4-H you can expect your club leaders to:
- Find answers to 4-H questions.
- Distribute 4-H materials in a timely fasion.
- Be courteous helpful, and respectful.
- Provide an organized structure for club meetings and activities.
- Help officers plan creative, fun meetings.
- Assist members to learn leadership skills.
- Encourage all members to set realistic goals and work toward completing them.
- Be a positive role model.
- Create an awareness of resources and opportunities available to 4-H members.
- Reflect and celebrate successes, even small ones.
What is expected of your child:
- Select at least one project.
- Set goals for member's project(s) and make report on project to leader.
- Attend at least 2/3 of club meetings (or number established by club)
- Share his/her project experiences by giving a presentatoion or making an exhibit.
Families Role in 4-H Includes:
- Encouraging participation in 4-H programs at the local and county level and to assist in the development of a 4-H member.
- Support local and county 4-H program through time, talent, and financial support.
- Work Cooperatively with other families and 4-H volunteers.
- Participate in Parent-Volunteer trainign to enhance personal knowledge of 4-H.
If you are interested in moving beyond the supportive adult role, and want to become a 4-H leader, it is as simple as registering as an adult volunteer leader.
As a registered Volunteer Leader you are required to:
- Pass a criminal and child maltreatment background check. (Cost of $11)
- Attend three trainings including:
- Mandated Reporter Training
- Arkansas 4-H Orientation
- Arkansas Chaperone Training
- Attend periodic specialized trainings as directed by your county agent.