Science is a part of everything we do, whether it is taking to the sky with drones, raising a calf, programming a robot, or even baking a loaf of bread. Arkansas 4-H strives to provide the best research based Science project materials for our agents, volunteers, and 4-H youth to bring into their community. 4‑H STEM programs provide 4‑H youth the opportunity to learn about Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) through fun, hands-on activities and projects.
What can kids learn?
Arkansas leads the nation when it comes to agriculture and row crop sciences. 4-H youth can explore everything involved from the soil up that contributes to the success of agriculture in Arkansas.
People have lived in Arkansas long before 4-H was established. 4-H youth are encouraged to explore their past using archeological sciences that stress the importance of careful documentation and protection of our historical artifacts.
Some fun activities to use in your clubs:
The world is ever changing, and through participation in Environmental Sciences, our 4-H youth are encouraged to examine the role they play in maintaining our planet for future generations.
Computers and robotics are all around us, from vacuuming our homes to building our cars, modern society is dependent on robotics and computer sciences. 4-H youth have the opportunity to build their programming skills, building talents, and communication skills while delving into this technology themed program.
Enjoy a day of Space activities to celebrate NASA Day. Activities include information about stars, rocketry, and careers. Click here for more information and links to lessons and activity descriptions.
- Recycled Parts Robot - find the video and directions for creating your own recycled parts robot! Post your robot on social media, tag @arkansas4h & use #AR4H
- Pollution Demonstration using the story of Freddie the Fish! To create your own Freddie the Fish story, use this script or come up with your own - get creative! Find the script here.
- Composting - watch this video for a super quick tutorial on starting a compost pile or bucket for your family and for more, in-depth information on composting, please check this out!
- Earth Day Jar Herb Garden - this is an easy & fun Earth Day activity; it includes recycling a jar & planting some seeds! Find details about starting a Jar Herb Garden here!
- Reading The Lorax by Dr. Seuss! - this story moment is a good wrap-up to Earth Week & a reminder of how important it is to take care of Mother Earth!
Projects in this area include:
- Biology & Chemistry
- Energy & Electricity
- Forage & Grasslands
- Water, Wildlife, & Fisheries
Projects in this area include:
- Computer Science & Coding
- Mechanical Sciences (automotive, welding, tractor)
- Robotics, Rocketry, & Aerospace
- Photography & Videography
The Arkansas 4-H State Office has a collection of STEM equipment available to check through your local county extension office. Please contact your local office for the availability of the equipment in order to make use of these resources in your clubs.
- Cameras (digital point & shoot & DSLR)
- Cubelets (basic coding blocks)
- DNA Kit
- Drone Discovery (NYSD 2016)
- Ecobots (NYSD 2012)
- GPS Units
- Helpful Hydrogels (NYSD 2008)
- Lego Mindstorm EV3 Kits
- Rockets to the Rescue (NYSD 2014)
- Snap Circuits
- Solar Cars
- Vet Science Anatomy
- Wind Turbines
- Wired for Wind (NYSD 2011)